There's a new group on Ravelry I wanted to point out to you... Tour of British Fleece.
Here is their manifesto...
What is Tour of Britain - Tour of British Fleece ?
The Aviva Tour of Britain cycle race is Britain’s national Tour and the UK’s highest ranked cycle race.
Spinners the world over love to spin-along and challenge themselves during the Tour de France, in a now well-established event known as Tour de Fleece.
Now, spinners and other crafters who love British sheep and their wool can celebrate their sheep and the cyclists by spinning along as the cyclists ride the Tour of Britain.
Tour of Britain - Tour of British Fleece has a simple concept. They spin, we spin. They go somewhere, we spin the sheep they find there.
With more than 60 native breeds and a dozen or so commercially significant hybrids, not to mention the naturalised and imported breeds found the length and breadth of the Isles, Britain has a tremendous variety of sheep and fleece. So why not use the Tour of Britain cycle race to showcase our wonderful sheep and their fleeces?
Each year, as the route of the Tour is published, we’ll work out which breeds and types of sheep are relevant to the areas where the cyclists ride. Then on each day of the Tour, participants aim to spin the fleece of relevant sheep.
Objectives of the spin-along and of the group:
- To raise awareness of British sheep and their wool to a wider audience
- To promote the craft of handspinning
- To encourage hand spinners and other crafters to use British Wool
- To promote breeds and types of sheep local to handspinners
- To promote lesser known British breeds and types of sheep and their uses
- To promote dialogue and understanding between users and producers of British Wool
- To share our love of British sheep and their fleece with others
- To encourage and support each other in sourcing and using the fleece of British sheep
- To have a lot of fun :)
I think this is a great excuse to get spinning those fleeces we all have stashed about the place... and if you are a beginner spinner, a chance to try something new!
I also have books on the subject too.. while stocks last!
Have a lovely day,