Thursday, 31 May 2012
Wednesday, 30 May 2012
I rarely get time to read other blogs these days, but there are a few I like to pop by when I can and http://thestringempire.blogspot.co.uk is one of them.
I noticed that there was a prize giveaway http://thestringempire.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/string-empires-first-giveaway.html and I thought... no harm in having a go, right?!
Well I only won!
The speed of light brought the package to me and I am now the proud owner of the cutest felt flower brooch ever! Thank you so much Jenny!
If you want one of your own, then visit Jenny at http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheStringEmpire
Tuesday, 29 May 2012
Milla is a fairly new member of my Ravelry group at http://www.ravelry.com/groups/saras-texture-crafts and I was so happy to see that she has been sharing her lovely work with us. This is one of the pieces she has made with my fibre;
This is her spinning... lovely isn't it?!
The finished article!
Milla choose to knit a Saroyan http://www.ravelry.com/projects/MillaMargherita/saroyan, which you can find the pattern for at http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/saroyan. It is a free pattern, so I recommend having a go!
Thank you so much Milla for sharing your work with us... I look forward to seeing more from you in the Ravelry group.
Monday, 28 May 2012
Just a quick update to let you know that I have opened a competition for any Ravelry members who want to compete with me in the Tour de Fleece… when I say ‘compete’, I mean a friendly spin-along!
The Tour de Fleece is a friendly spin-along held on Ravelry each year. It follows the Tour de France bike race, with the idea that as they ride we spin; covering yardage, as they cover mileage. There are various groups and prizes you can be involved, with the simplest premise that we spin, socialize and generally enjoy almost a full month at our beloved wheels.
I thought it might be fun to join in and share some offerings from my shop. Here's what's up for grabs;
- A 10% discount on an order at www.sarastexturecrafts.com by adding the discount code: teamSarasTextureCrafts2012 at the checkout.
- Secondly a prize of 100g of dyed tops to one lucky winner. This I will be dyeing especially for the Tour de Fleece and pictures will follow soon.
- Discount – you will receive 10% off of your order, by adding the code teamSarasTextureCrafts2012 at the checkout. This is not redeemable at a later stage and is limited to one order per person. Discounts are open from 1st of June to the 20th of July 2012.
Prize drawing –
- To enter for the prize you must be a member on Ravelry (free and fabulous!). When you log in, sign up to the official Sara’s Texture Crafts team at
- Post pictures of your work as you go and generally join in the discussion to meet and spin-along with us. You can also tag your hand spun yarns with teamSarasTextureCrafts2012 as you enter them onto your Ravelry notebook. However, this is not essential, as I will be drawing a winner from the discussion thread.
- The Tour de Fleece officially closes on the 22nd of July, but I will extend my closing date until the 6th of August so that you have time to wash, dry and photograph any yarns made in the final few days.
- Each member will receive one entry in to the price drawing for posting pictures of their hand spun yarns. However, if you spin and submit pictures of spinning with fibre from Sara’s Texture Crafts you will get a second entry.
- I will announce the winner on the 10th of August 2012.
Official team thread and competition is at http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/tour-de-fleece/topics/2160691
Friday, 25 May 2012
Welcome to the next shop update! It’s been a while so I am very excited to upload new stock for you to take home and play with…
Ok, here’s the list;
- Hand dyed tops – these include Jacob humbug blends, Shetland, Falkland, BFL and Merino/Tencel blends.
- More hand dyed yarn – Aran, DK and Lace (more to follow in the next update)
- Fleece – I have my first Romney fleeces here and I picked up a pretty little Hebridean fleece on my travels. Most Farmers up until now have had trouble shearing on time, due to the weather. I’m hoping the past week or so will have helped, however we do rely on only a few shearers in the area. With this in mind please keep revisiting shop updates and following my free monthly newsletters. As soon as I have stock I will let you know.
It seems short and sweet, but there is a lot of choice, some new colourways and updates on sold lines. I have also updated stock levels to reflect Ashford a new Ashford equipment order I have just received.
If you remember seeing something at the Devon County Show and it’s not back in stock yet, let me know and I’ll see if I can make some more.
You can find all of these in the shop at www.sarastexturecrafts.com
Next Update Due: 8th June! This will include more fleeces (depending on the weather for shearing) and a few new free knit patterns.
Don’t forget to come and see me at my next events as I’ll probably be showing exclusive new hand dyed shades! http://sarastexturecrafts.com/page/5172-events.aspx
Wednesday, 23 May 2012
Tuesday, 22 May 2012
|LINK: Www.devoncountyshow.co.uk/photo-gallery/page/41 |
Photo by Geoff & Tordis Pagotto
|Photo by Geoff & Tordis Pagotto|
How chuffed am I?!
Monday, 21 May 2012
A big thank you to everyone who came to see me at the Devon County Show... I had a wonderful time!
I'm back now and starting to pack orders and answer emails, ready to work on my next shop update later this week. In the meantime if you need anything the shops are open and ready for you... and I am at the end of the phone, or email!
Shop update Friday 25th May. If you saw something at the show you wanted to buy, let me know and I can get that to you.
Sunday, 20 May 2012
Friday, 18 May 2012
Thursday, 17 May 2012
Monday, 14 May 2012
Devon County Show 17-19th May 2012 at Westpoint, Exeter.
http://devoncountyshow.co.uk/http://devoncountyshow.co.uk/. The show is a great opportunity to learn more about the fibre we spin! There will be plenty of local farmers bringing their sheep to the show, so you get the chance to meet these animals (a huge variety of breeds) and talk to farmers about their fleece. There are also Alpaca, Cashmere and Angora Goats (Mohair) there too... not forgetting the Angora bunnies! This of course is before we even consider the other livestock and events that take place. The Devon Guid of Spinners, Weavers and Dyers, as well as the Devon Lace Guild will also be on hand to inspire!
I will be showing in the West Country Crafts Marquee with my stall. This marquee is specifically aimed at hosting local crafts and businesses, with the idea of promoting 'buy local'. We have a huge wealth of quality breeds and wool businesses here on our door step that we often don’t know exist, or forget about.
I will have lots of blended tops and exclusive hand dyed tops, solid colours too. I also have spindle kits and needle felting kits, as well as yarns and embroidery/surface textured mini skeins. My demo will be needle felt figures and spindle spinning. So there will be lots of goodies to see.
If you need to pick up an order, please let me know 3 days in advance with full payment. This will ensure I have enough time to process.
If you can make it, I’d love to see you there… support is always very welcome and I would always love to see a friendly face or two!
Special Note: Orders made from the 15th of May and during this time will go out on the 21st and 23rd of May.
Friday, 11 May 2012
So while I wait for set-up day I thought I ought to make a start on products for the next show... The Somerset Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers' Fleece Day. I'm starting by carding batts and dyeing fleece, while keeping an eye on the weather to see if I can put something on the line!
Have a great weekend everyone!
Thursday, 10 May 2012
Wednesday, 9 May 2012
Tuesday, 8 May 2012
I already spied a lovely knit pattern for a cowl in this edition... Might have to knit that at some point ;)
They also have a fab mini magazine all about weddings, which is full of pretty handmade ideas.
Sunday, 6 May 2012
Wishing everyone a happy May Day Bank Holiday!
Thank you to everyone who sent me their tips on keeping the snails at bay... I'm going to try the coffee grounds and the sharp stone chips and see how that goes. The larger option... Well I think I deserve to drink that after all this hard work!
Hope you are enjoying the bank holiday.
Thursday, 3 May 2012
Wednesday, 2 May 2012
This is a monthly podcast by Sara's Texture Crafts.
Thank you to new and existing viewers, I hope you enjoy the show!In this episode I discuss;Wonderwool Wales April 28th 2012 - www.wonderwoolwales.co.uk
Thank you to Chrissie (organiser of Wonderwool) for allowing me to film and to Darrin who acted the Robin, to my Batman whilst I wandered around the show full of cold!Photo & Purchase credits –
www.Purlescence.co.uk I bought some Chaigoo circular needles from here. www.LaalBear.co.uk I bought some lovely sparkle gradient yarn and 50g of a variegated yarn. www.manxloagthansheep.org wonderful rare breed fleece. www.shearersgirlyarns.co.uk LoveLydia’s stall! www.feltstudiouk.etsy.com This stall gets my personal best in show thumbs up!
Video mentions & credits:
- www.fyberspates.co.uk wonderful yarn colour.
- www.shetland-sheep.org.uk had some wonderful fleece examples and two sheep that we were very taken with!
- www.bcsba.org.uk organisation for UK coloured sheep.
- www.thenaturaldyestudio.co.uk Beautiful natural dyed colours and some new patterns.
- www.thetoftalpacashop.co.uk lovely Alpaca goodness!
- www.wellmanorfarm.co.uk Gotland crosses and Pygora which I didn’t see an example of as I was on the move, but I would definitely like to try some out.
- www.woodland-turnery.co.uk The makers of the beautiful Timbertops spinning wheels.
- Oliver Twists (no website) – who sell dyed silks and fabrics.
- www.lakesidecrafts.co.uk wonderful selection of yarns, kits and equipment… a staple store!
- www.jarbon.com Beautiful yarn purchase for my new hand dyed shawlette.
- www.schoppel-wolle.de I purchased from a LYS some Admiral Batik, which again I think might be a shawl… not sure yet.
- www.straw.com the home of Crystal Palace yarns which I bought from a LYS for using as an art yarn ply.
- Erin from www.mommyneedsyarn.com for allowing me to purchase and give the excuse that they don’t really need to count as stash!
- www.Mumfordandsons.com – who’s music you can hear on the trip back… needless to say I nearly lost my voice singing along all the way home!
- Erin (above) and Steve from www.dramaticknits.blogspot.com for inspiring my purchase of Chaigoo needles. I’m excited to try these out.
- www.gwentguildwsd.org.uk a local guild of spinners, weavers and dyers for inspiring me as always… Thank you Ladies!
- Tania from www.rumplestiltskin.org.uk and Lynda from Funky Fibres… sorry Lynda not sure if you have a website. Let me know if you do and I shall link it! Thank you for always being so much fun!
Until Next time (next stop the Devon County Show), keep Dreaming in Fibre!
Products, Events, Information and Shop Updates can be found at
Tuesday, 1 May 2012
I've long admired Melanie's work over at http://www.etsy.com/shop/feltmeupdesigns and was absolutely thrilled to have her join me as a customer... I think I did a little dance around the stockroom, when I saw the first order come through! So as you can imagine I squeed with delight to see these photos tagged to my personal and business facebook page this week...
These little cuties... owl babies have proved very popular at a store called Pippin's in Edinburgh. I can see why... I just want to eat them up they are so cute!
Melanie used my Gingersnap handdyed Teeswater fleece to create the fluffy, feather texture and I love that each little baby owl has turned out so unique.
Thank you for sharing Mel and keep adding those photos to the facebook page so that more customers can find you.