Friday, 12 December 2008

Book Review: Quick Costumes For Kids, 30 Great Fancy Dress Ideas


Author: Deborah House
Publisher: Hamlyn
ISBN: 13-978-0-600-61484-5
ISBN: 10-0-600-61484-0
Price: £14.99

‘Quick and Easy costume-making’ was the headline that caught my eye in the introduction of this book, but it was the ‘Little Helpers Tips’ that really swung it for me…. What a great way to pass on sewing skills to your children by involving them in the processes of making their own costume.

Covering favourites such as Halloween, Christmas and Party themes, boys get to dress as wizards, skeletons, ghosts, Joseph or the 3 Wise men, a clown, a teddy bear or a rather cool robot, to name but a few. For the girls there is an equally large choice ranging from witches, to angels, rabbits to butterflies or a even a beautiful princess.

Deborah House gives us really clear, simple instructions and material lists with an idea of timescale as well as clever alternatives for tighter budgets or quick projects. The ‘Little Helpers’ tips, really allow parents to engage children in the task too, making quiet time for those bits that little fingers are too young to try… such as using the sewing machine.

I think that even the occasional machinist among us will appreciate this book , especially if you have imaginative children.

Overall 5 stars for a great book!!!

-----------------
This review can also be found at as part of my contributions on DIY City Magazine and The Textile Directory.

Sara x
Visit my Main Website here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there,
I hope you have enjoyed what you have been reading here on Crafts of Texture. Please feel free to leave me your comments and feedback and I will be along to publish and reply as soon as I can.
Thank you,
Sara x